SCHOOL’S OUT FOR SUMMER
2018-19 FLHS PTA Meeting Schedule —
Our PTA meets monthly at 6 PM in the FLHS Library Lecture Hall, on a Thursday or Wednesday*. Don’t miss another PTA meeting. On your smartphone go to your message app and text the message @flhspta to the number 81010. You’ll get meeting reminders on your phone. Meeting dates for 2018-2019 are:
- Sept. 20, 2018
- Oct. 11, 2018
- Nov. 8, 2018
- Dec. 5, 2018* (Wednesday)
- Jan. 10, 2019
- Feb. 7, 2019
- March 7, 2019
- April 11, 2019
- May 9, 2019
- June 6, 2019
2018-19 Headmaster Coffees:
- Freshman, 9th: Thursday, Sept. 27, 9:15 AM, Falcon’s Nest
- Junior, 11th: Thursday, Oct. 18, 9:15 AM, Falcon’s Nest
- Sophomore, 10th: Thursday, Nov. 15, 9:15 AM, Falcon’s Nest
- Senior, 12th: Thursday, Feb. 21, 9:15 AM, Falcon’s Nest
Have you fallen behind in your FLHS PTA lore and trivia? Maybe you want to re-live every exciting detail of committee reports, grant requests and luncheon planning. Well, you’re in luck — we’ve stored materials for all past PTA meetings here. Enjoy!!!
New SAT/ACT Prep Dates for Summer 2018
Discounted prep services from AlphaPrep, sponsor of Warde & Ludlowe HS PTAs
Go to www.alphaprep.com Use the course code: FPHS to find summer classes in Fairfield at both Warde and Ludlowe. Don’t delay. Sign up TODAY to make sure you get a seat!
What is AlphaPrep?
AlphaPrep is a Connecticut based, full-service tutoring firm providing an outstanding, individualized approach to SAT & ACT test preparation. For the past decade, AlphaPrep has sponsored the Fairfield Warde & Ludlowe PTAs on behalf of all Fairfield high school families. The PTAs have negotiated the lowest rates possible to allow all Fairfield high schoolers the benefits of an internationally recognized test preparation program. A portion of all tuition fees is donated back to the Warde & Ludlowe PTAs. Students needing financial assistance may inquire about AlphaPrep scholarships through their school counselor. AlphaPrep has developed a proprietary tutoring program and web tool to meet the academic needs of busy students with the added convenience of classes being held in our schools here in Fairfield.
Need-based scholarships may be available – please contact your guidance office.
FREE Parenting Workshop: Given by INSPIRE, a sponsor of the FLHS PTA
Creating Lasting Family Connections (CLFC)
A panel of college presidents was recently asked how high schools could better prepare students for college. The unanimous answer: send us emotionally healthy young people.
To that end, we have structured workshops that take place as a 90 min session, once a week, over 5 weeks — for Parents/Guardians only.
WHAT IS CLFC: Participants in our Creating Lasting Family Connections workshop will experience a focused exploration of interpersonal communication skills, expression of feelings and self-awareness. Guided by a trained facilitator, parents will learn effective strategies to strengthen family relationships–especially with teens. They are also provided the opportunity to practice these skills in a comfortable and confidential group setting. Open to both Ludlowe and Warde families!
WHY: Research shows that clear and consistent messages from parents to be one of the most influential factors as teens make decisions about alcohol and drug use. Studies also show small communities (such as parents of same age children, same school district, same neighborhood, etc.) that gather to discuss common challenges are more connected and productive. Effective communications can reduce stress in families.
Look for new meeting dates coming soon for the 2018-19 school year.
Freshman Forum 2017
Check out these great materials from last year’s FLHS Freshman Forum, a special presentation on the dangers of alcohol and substance abuse. Click on these topics to get a head start on next year’s forum:
1. Freshman Forum 2017 Community & School Resouces
2. Homework for Parents
3. Power of Parents – Alcohol
4. Power of Parents – Marijuana
5. Marijuana Facts for Teens
6. Parents’ Legal Liability for Illegal Serving & Party Hosting
7. FREE Family Communications Workshops for FLHS families!!!
Need to buy a 2017-18 PTA membership?
Congrats, Steve Baker on being a great FLHS PTA President for 2017-18! Steve will be back next year! Email Steve at email@example.com
Are You Getting the Falcon Flash?
If not, you’re probably not in our PTA database. Fix that by going HERE now. And please buy your PTA membership when you get there. Thank you for supporting our PTA. 🙂
email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
I Lost My PTA Password & I Can’t Get In!
Click HERE and a new password will be sent to you. When you get there, type in your email address and click the words, “Forgot Your password?”. Still have issues? Email email@example.com.
Is Paper the Only “Route” for You?
Click below for “paper” solutions to your most pressing needs.
CLICK HERE TO LINK TO AMAZON to HELP FLHS PTA…
… a very small portion of anything you spend goes right to our PTA. Doesn’t sound like much but if we all use it, we can raise 1000’s of dollars a year — just by shopping! So go shop now, and bookmark it. Happy Shopping
Think about volunteering for one of our open Positions! It will be one of the
best things you do to help your child succeed in high school —
Executive Board 2017-18
Oversees efforts to raise money throughout the year
Hosts authors, speakers, family communications workshops, etc.
all aimed at helping highschoolers & their parents
Contact our wonderful 2017-18 VPs of Volunteers with your questions.
Come to our meetings! Our PTA meets Thursday (and a couple of Wednesday*) evenings in the
FLHS Library Lecture Hall, rm 277. Meeting dates for this year:
10/12/17, 11/9/17, 12/6/17*,
1/11/18, 2/8/18, 3/7/18*, 4/5/18, 5/10/18, 6/7/18
On your smartphone, text the message @flhspta to the number 81010
You’ll get meeting reminders on your phone.
How Do I Add the FLHS PTA Web Site
to My Phone’s Home Screen?
1. Go to your smart phone and type flhs pta (or flhspta, or Fairfield Ludlowe PTA, etc.) into your web browser window (Safari on an iPhone)
2. It should land you on a results page like this, click the result on top (that’s us!)
3. Now you’re looking at the mobile version of our FLHS PTA site — flhspta.org. Click that little box with an arrow shooting out of it (keep looking, it’s there)…
4. …and you’ll see some options pop up. Click to Add to Home Screen
5. Then click the word in blue, Add, below
6. Congrats. That blue tile below is the FLHS PTA site and you just added it to your phone (you’re really good at this).
Hope you find this helpful and save yourself both time and paper. If you have questions, do not hesitate to let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
need your help with this year. Or just click here
FLHS PTA’s First 2016 Parent Program of the Year —
S4: Work Smarter, Not Harder with Evidence-Based Study Skills
Help your teen start the new school year right straight out of the gate with the tools to becoming a smart learner. The PTAs of Fairfield Ludlowe High School & Fairfield Warde High School jointly invite you to a free Phttp://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0444aaaf2da7f94-openarent Workshop presented by Michelle Sagalyn, founder and president of Successful Study Skills 4 Students,
Where: Fairfield Ludlowe High School, in the Lecture Hall at the back of the FLHS Library
When: Thursday, September 22nd at 7 pm
Find out how you can effectively support your child’s educational experience. You will leave this 90-minute interactive and informative presentation with specific ways students can organize their calendars, projects, tests and daily study habits. Discover why more than 3,000 students have participated in S4’s evidence-based workshops in Connecticut and New York. Check out S4’s website at http://www.successfulstudyskills4students.com/
2016-17 school year
THANK YOU, 2016 PTA VOLUNTEERS
Many thanks to our PTA volunteers who helped prepare the
2016 Summer Mailing & Freshmen Preview folders on Aug. 16th & 17th.
For the summer mailing that arrives to 10th, 11th & 12th grade homes next week,
our volunteers collated roughly 12,000 flyers & forms,
and stuffed & sealed them into 1,200 envelopes
(that’s 10 pieces per mailer).
For Freshmen/New student Preview Day on Aug. 24th, PTA volunteers collated
roughly 7,220 pieces and put them into 380 folders
(that’s 18 pieces per folder).
It was really amazing and we owe a lot of thanks to the parents who made it happen.
Monday, August 22nd at 6:00 PM in the FLHS cafeteria.
Please contact the Athletic Director’s office if you have questions.
- Friday, Aug. 19 – 5:00 to 8:00 Taft Field; Saturday, Aug. 20 – 8:00 to 11:00 Taft Field; Monday, Aug. 22 – Wednesday, Aug 24 – 5:00 to 8:00 Taft Field; Thursday, Aug 25 – Full Pads with schedule to be sent by Coach Camera
- Thursday, Aug 25 – 9:00 to 11:00 meet at Taft Field in bleachers; Thursday, Aug 25 – 3:00 to 5:00 Sturges Park; Friday, Aug 26 – 11:00 to 2:00 Taft Field; Saturday, Aug 27 – 9:00 to 12:00 Sturges Park
- Thursday, Aug 25 – 9:00 to 11:00 at RLMS field and 4:00 to 6:30 at Taft Field; Friday, Aug 26 – 8:00 to 11:00 at RLMS; Saturday, Aug 27 – (11th & 12th grades) – 10:00 to 12:30 RLMS ; (9th & 10th grades) – 12:30 to 3:00 RLMS
- Thursday, Aug 25 – 7:45 to 10:30 at Taft Field and 2:00 to 4:00 at Taft Field; Friday, Aug 26 – 7:45 to 10:30 at Taft Field and 2:00 to 4:00 at Taft Field;Saturday, Aug 27 – 9:00 to 12:00 Taft Field and 4:00 to 5:30 Taft Field
- Thursday, Aug 25 – 3:30 to 5:30 and 7:00 to 8:30 Main Gym; Friday, Aug 26 – 3:30 to 6:30 Main Gym; Saturday, Aug 27 – 9:00 to 11:30 and 12:30 to 2:30 Main Gym
- Thursday, Aug 25 – 2:30 to 4:30 on Stadium Track; Friday, Aug 26 – 2:30 to 4:30 on Stadium Track; Saturday, Aug 27 – OFF
- Monday, Aug 29 – 3:00 to 5:15 at Westport YMCA*; Tuesday, Aug. 30 – 3:00 to 5:15 at Westport YMCA*; Wednesday, Aug 31 – 3:00 to 5:15 at Westport YMCA*
2016-17 school year
Fairfield Warde & Ludlowe High School PTA Parent Book Group Discussion RsvP here
No More Pencils, No More Books…well, maybe just one book
(and you thought Summer Reading was only for the kids).
Take some time out this summer to read “The Gift of Failure” by Jessica Lahey who is an educator, writer, and speaker. She writes the bi-weekly New York Times column, “The Parent-Teacher Conference,” is a correspondent at the Atlantic, and a regular commentator on Vermont Public Radio. She and has appeared as a parenting and education expert on The Today Show, Fox and Friends, MSNBC, the BBC, NPR, and many others.
SAVE THE DATE 2016-17 school year
Don’t miss these important insights into your child’s year.
Meet FLHS Headmaster Greg Hatzis as he hosts a series of grade-specific talks
on how to meet your child’s needs as they experience their coming year at FLHS.
There will be 4 Coffees. Look for your child’s grade below and Save The Date.
Freshmen, 9th: Thursday, Sept. 29, 9:15 AM, Falcon’s Nest
Junior, 11th: Thursday, Oct. 20, 9:15 AM, Falcon’s Nest
Sophomore, 10th: Thursday, Nov. 17, 9:15 AM, Falcon’s Nest
Senior, 12th: Thursday, Jan. 26, 9:15 AM, Falcon’s Nest
ABOUT THE FLHS PTA
The Fairfield Ludlowe High School PTA is dedicated to enhancing the educational experience of all FLHS students, strengthening the connection between school and home, fostering collaboration with teachers, and advocating on behalf of education, families, and staff. Email us at email@example.com, or regular mail us at:
Fairfield Ludlowe High School
Attn: FLHS PTA
785 Unquowa Road
Fairfield, CT 06824